How Can Carbon Finance Work for Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities?
Sunday, December 3rd, 2023
14:15 - 15:15
The Integrity Council for the Voluntary Carbon Market (ICVCM) and Nature4Climate are co-hosting this event that aims to:
- Highlight the importance of the application of social and environmental safeguards, as part of high-integrity VCM, and learnings and best practices on this topic.
- Showcase examples of how carbon finance has supported nature-based solutions and IP’s and LC’s sustainable development within their territories, focusing on success stories plus how strategies and actions were integrated.
- Identify key challenges and action-steps toward scaling-up IPs and LCs engagement and IP and LC benefits into VCM finance and projects.
- Introduce the work already done by the ICVCM to consolidate integrity and include IP’s and LC’s rights and concerns into the CCPs and Assessment Framework.
- Mere Takoko, Ngāti Porou, Te Whānau a Apanui, Rongowhakaata, Aotearoa (New Zealand)
- Isack Bryson, Hadzabe, Yaeda Valley, Tanzania
- Navy Kroeung, Bunong, Cambodia
- Melena Pollard, Toshao (leader) of River's View, Guyana
- Annette Nazareth , Chair, ICVCM
- Kanyinke Sena , Board member, ICVCM
- Patricia da Matta, Communications Lead, Nature4Climate